Saturday 19 August 2017

Module One, Chapter Six, Task 3


Sample 1


Multiple threads
Sewn directly onto a black calico sample page. I tacked six work areas and began with a running stitch 2.5, tension set to 1.
Changed to a normal foot 20 - as I had still used the pin tuck foot.
Chose a yellow and blue thread  0 tension for the triangle box.
The "bars" were yellow and variegated thread.
Box 4 was pink and variegated zig zag stitch 1.5 x 3.6.
Gold and purple metallic threads for the triangle shape.
Stitch number 3 and overlocking stitch 1.5 x 4.5 changing threads from gold/purple, pink/purple, multi/purple. All stitched well, no particular problems.

Sample 2

Cream calico samples x 4
Tried multiple rows of zig zag with yellow and reds changed to a blue in the centre and then back up to reds and yellow. The tension was tight - everything sews on calaico and cotton so much better on the backing felt. It was annoying as I was enjoying the results. 
Second sample was the grid box using the overlocker stitch 3 again and varying the colours.
The third sample is my favorite and sewed the best. The honeycomb stitch I used variegated thread plus gold, sewed beautifully and a lovely effect.
Finally box 4 variegated thread and changed to dark red metallic the tension problems are obvious and I never really solved that problem. Was the stitch the wrong choice? Actually it didn't pucker but picked up the bobbin thread from under - quite nice really. 

Sample 3


Red and grey patterned cotton fabric mounted on a black calico sample.
Began by sewing grey/ cream zig zag on the stem then grey/chocolate to deepen and finally red/chocolate. Cream bobbin thread showing through and tension a little tight.
Not much definition between the colours - bobbin would be better in a deeper colour (see outer circle of flower). Finished off with a gold metallic zig zag stitch 1.5 x 4.5. 
I think this sample worked well - I used the pattern  as my form to experiment and explore the stitch and colour of reds and browns. 
I also used my embroidery hoop for the first time and this enabled me to get the finish I did. I quite like the slight pucker effect from the centre out as it mimicks the design.



Needle Notes




No comments:

Post a Comment